Everyone wants a “ministry”.
Have you noticed? Some want to work with youth, others long to help seniors, and then others want to assist the homeless. One or two fancy my job and I think that if I take one more sick day that I may come back to a U-Haul party, a hastily contrived ceremony, and a knock off gold time piece.
But, I still don’t believe in “ministries”. There I said it.
There is no such thing as a “ministry”. Just like you can’t take the wet out of water so you can’t take “ministry” out of flow of life.
So everything we do is “ministry:
1. The way we treat the waitress at Sonny’s Bar- B-Q
2. The way we smile at those who no longer can
3. The cool tongue we keep when the conversation turns heated
4. A quiet prayer for a dejected soul.
5. Helping around the house with chores. (Even killing off-putting, creepy, purple, hard-shelled bugs for the wife.)
6. Being faithful to a spouse physically as well as emotionally.
7. The way we love ourselves when we look in the mirror even though we are no longer spring chicks
8. Doing good deeds in secret
9. Doing a good job at work
“Ministry” is what we are doing while we are waiting and dreaming of ministry. “Ministry” is life; not a subsection of it.
There I said it.